While you likely know that medical cannabis is a treatment option for certain conditions in Texas, many people don’t fully understand the monetary cost associated with the process. Health insurance generally does not cover medical marijuana expenses, but that does not mean the average person is priced out. In fact, a 2018 study reported that most people found medical cannabis to be more cost-effective than prescription drugs.
Even so, finding and consulting a medical marijuana doctor in San Antonio alone can cost a few hundred dollars. At Texas 420 Doctors, we always offer transparent, straightforward pricing, but some other providers may surprise you with hidden fees.
Here are some of the costs you may encounter when looking for medical marijuana in San Antonio.
To be approved for a medical marijuana recommendation, you must be eligible according to the restrictions and parameters of your state. Eligibility hinges on the presence of one or more of the qualifying conditions. The list of conditions ranges from something as mild as a persistent cough to something as serious as cancer and terminal illness.
Each state is different in how it defines medical cannabis eligibility. In the San Antonio area, there are several conditions recognized by medical marijuana doctors under the Compassionate Use program, including:
- Multiple sclerosis
- Incurable neurodegenerative diseases, as outlined in the Texas Administrative Code
If you suffer from one of the conditions on the list above, then we recommend seeing a certified medical marijuana doctor and applying for access to medical cannabis. According to a recent study, 89% of MMJ patients reported relief from their symptoms, and further interviews also revealed a lower dependence on prescription drugs.
Tests or questionnaires are typically only for screening purposes and are generally free to access in Texas and the San Antonio area, lowering the overall cost of medical marijuana. If you are aware of the eligibility requirements in your state and know you have probable cause to receive a recommendation, then you may contact your chosen medical marijuana doctor directly to set up an evaluation. The physician in charge of your evaluation will typically look at your medical history and any supplemental records.
In-Person or Telemedicine Evaluation
An evaluation is the time during which you meet with a certified physician and discuss your request for medical cannabis. The physician will take a look at your medical history and evaluate your need based on symptoms, treatment history, and reliability. If they deem you fit to try medical cannabis, then you will receive a recommendation. This doctor recommendation, also known as a letter of approval or MMJ card, is the only way to legally obtain medical marijuana from dispensaries.
You can meet with a board-certified physician from the comfort of your own home. This is especially convenient for those who cannot easily get around by themselves. But for those who prefer the more traditional face-to-face method of interaction, you’ll need to schedule an appointment with a certified physician or find a medical marijuana doctor in the San Antonio area who can perform an evaluation.
Any visit, whether in-person or virtual, will incur a regular doctor’s office fee.
Although the recommendation itself is typically free for patients who have already paid for the evaluation, the patient must then seek a local dispensary and order directly from them. This is where the cost of medical marijuana begins to add up, though it may vary from person to person. Many recommendations provided by medical marijuana doctors are open, meaning that there is no prescribed amount or dosage attached to the MMJ card. This allows patients to experiment and discover what works best for their particular condition. Hence, the cost of cannabis will be different depending on the type and amount you decide to get.
Continued Professional Support
It’s crucial to ensure that a medical marijuana patient does not feel abandoned after receiving an MMJ card from their doctor. For most patients, this is a new experience, and they may not be entirely sure what they are doing or how to move forward. They may seek the professional opinion of their physician for a number of reasons:
- Unexpected side effects
- Change in dosage
- Questions about types of medical marijuana
In these cases, it’s important to seek the counsel of your medical marijuana doctor, especially if you are experiencing unusual symptoms or a sudden decrease in health. This ongoing guidance is often rolled into the annual cost of medical marijuana.
What We Offer
At Texas 420 Doctors, we streamline the process of securing an MMJ card and offer plenty of support and resources to our patients along the way. Our membership is simple with no hidden fees. Although we serve the whole state, many of our patients come from the San Antonio area. We offer relief through responsible medical marijuana usage without the high financial cost of services and support. For the low annual price of just $299, patients who join our program will receive the following membership benefits:
- Telemedicine Evaluation. For those in the San Antonio area, book an appointment with one of Texas’s board-certified medical marijuana doctors, and we’ll get you connected. The physician will review your medical and health history and discuss your cannabis use going forward. Any questions or sensitive information shared during this appointment are entirely confidential.
- Signed Approval & Recommendation. Upon approval, you will receive a signed letter affirming your condition. This authorization allows you to buy medical cannabis in the state of Texas, and you may present your card as proof of eligibility.
- Dispensary Recommendations. Your recommendation is valid for a year, during which time you can test different types of cannabis from authorized dispensaries. We will provide patients with a list of dispensaries.
- Continued Professional Support & Consultations. Follow-up appointments are critical when beginning a new medical treatment. This is the time for you to ask questions, discuss any side effects, and adjust your routine with the help of a medical marijuana doctor.
- Cannabis 101 Guide. This all-in-one guide will help keep you informed on all things cannabis, including its effects, information on different strains, and dosage recommendations.
Let Us Do the Heavy Lifting
Why choose Texas 420 Doctors? We have the medical and technical know-how to get you connected for one low membership price. See our testimonials to learn how many Texans have already benefited from the support of certified medical marijuana doctors in the San Antonio area. Contact us with any questions or concerns you may have, and get qualified today.